Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

Hello, blogging world!


It's a new year, which means it's time for new years resolutions. My big one for this year is to start a blog. I've never tried it, so we'll just see how it goes. And if you're reading this, let me know if you love it, hate it, have any advice for me. I'm new at this so I'm open to suggestions.


I decided to make this blog all about the many projects I like to work on. I often get asked to write down recipes or instructions, so this is my way of spreading the project love. Posting status updates on facebook just wasn't cutting it anymore. And if I know that I have to track my progress on projects, it'll make me more accountable to finish them :)


Let's start out with Christmas gifts. My favorite gift that I gave my family and friends this year was homemade lavender and vanilla extract. It is super simple to make.... are you ready for the recipe?


Vanilla Extract

  • 1 bottle vodka
  • ~10 vanilla beans (I used Madagascar beans, but Tahitian beans also work. You can find these at Whole Foods-type grocery stores, but for price and quality, I recommend amazon.com)
  • optional: fresh lavender, orange peels, anything you want to add to make your extract unique.


  1. Split the vanilla beans in half, lengthwise.
  2. Add ingredients to vodka bottle or separate into smaller glass bottles with lids (I used empty Starbucks Frappuccino bottles).
  3. Let the bottles sit in a dark area for 3 months, shaking the mixture every couple of days.



BAM! That's it! Add some stuff to vodka, let it sit, and then you've got extract. Super simple. The vanilla beans will continue adding flavor to the vodka for up to a year, so just keep refilling your bottle with vodka as you use up the extract. Or you can do what I did, put the 3 month old extract in small bottles, slap a label on it, and give it out as gifts.


My favorite present that I got this year was this bracelet from my Aunt Pam.


My grandmother passed away in 2011. She was definitely the matriarch of the family, and the holidays just won't be the same without her. The beads on this bracelet were made from the flowers at my grandma's funeral. The flowers were dried and processed into a powder, then made into bracelets for the women in the family, and tie clips for the guys. My grandma was always a stylish lady, it's very fitting that I have a piece of jewelry to remember her by. I love it, what an interesting way to make a new object out of something meaningful.


My second favorite gift is my Silhouette Cameo!!


It's a digital cutting machine, similar to the popular Cricuit machine. The major difference is that the Cricuit uses cartridges, the Silhouette hooks up to your computer like a printer so you can design whatever you want. And you can cut cardstock, vinyl, fabric, whatever. I probably haven't sold you yet on how amazing this thing is, but believe me, it's AMAZING! So many cutting projects to come....


But for now, my New Year is being spent with my sick dog.


Somebody decided to get into the garbage during the holidays, and is now paying severely for whatever she ate. Now I have to play doggy nurse to make sure she stays hydrated and out of the vet office. I hope she learned her lesson!


Later! 

No comments:

Post a Comment